[gdal-dev] /vsicurl caching behavior

Patrick Valsecchi patrick.valsecchi at camptocamp.com
Fri Jan 5 04:42:06 PST 2018

Hi Even,

Long time no see!

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> > 8) In the case discussed in 7), CPL_VSIL_CURL_NON_CACHED will just purge
>
> > the data from 1 the 3 caches: papsRegions. The vsil_cache and the disk
> will
>
> > still cache the content.
>

> CPL_VSIL_CURL_NON_CACHED avoids the content of a file to be preserved in
> the papsRegion cache when a file handle is closed and re-opened. And
> VSICachedFile is only valid during the lifetime of the file handle. So I
> don't think there's an issue there. Perhaps the naming
> CPL_VSIL_CURL_NON_CACHED is a bit misleading: there's always some cache
> (otherwise /vsicurl performance would be just too horrible), it is just
> that it doesn't survive file closing.

OK, I understand now the VSICachedFile lifecycle and it makes sense. But
then the disk cache should not be used at all for files in
the CPL_VSIL_CURL_NON_CACHED variable.

I'll try to find some happy hacking time (or client funding, ideally) to
improve the disk caching. What is the official GDAL procedure for PRs? I
see a few in the github repo, but the doc says the source is located in SVN.

Thanks.