[gdal-dev] Resulting geometry from OGRGeometry::difference somehow got simplified

mikeucfl mikeucfl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:46:09 PST 2018

I need some help trying to make sense of an issue I'm running into using
OGRGeometry::difference. I have some pretty large geometries (spans across
multiple longitude/latitude values) in which I am utilizing the difference
operation in OGRGeometry to cut holes in and get the resulting geometry.
This has worked for some time, but one of my datasets returns a result that
looks as if the geometry got heavily simplified. I'm not a great artist but
here's a drawn example of what I'm talking about:
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/t381880/5U0bWIg.png>
(the black is what the resulting geometry should look like, and the red is
what it actually looks like).

I've done testing by trying to reduce the size and or number of interior
rings for the geometry that is being used in the difference operation, which
seems to work but I'm not 100% convinced that those variables are the issue.
Does anyone know of any limitations with geometry sizes, interior ring
sizes, or possibly vert counts with GDAL/GEOS? Or any other ideas as to what
my issue could be? My software is written in c++ using Visual Studio 2015
(x64) and I'm linking to GDAL v2.1.3 with GEOS 3.5.0 (have also tried GDAL
2.0.1 with same results). Thanks.