[gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] Convert VRT+JPEG with gdalwarp

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Sun Jul 1 08:39:25 PDT 2018

kalevj wrote
> Hi Doug,
>
> Thanks for the info. I know that JPEG is lossy but our datasets are very
> large. That’s why we use JPEG, which is good enough for our needs and the
> file sizes are smaller.

Hi,

If your datasets are large you should not create plain JPEG files with the
GDAL JPEG driver. Create JPEG compressed tiled GeoTIFFs instead. With JPEG
you must decompress the whole image before you can read a small region of
interest of your image but from tiled GeoTIFF you can access the right tiles
directly. You can read usage examples for example from here
http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2015/02/geotiff-compression-for-dummies.html.

-Jukka Rahkonen-