[gdal-dev] Compile GDAL with OGDI support on Windows

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jul 18 11:48:21 PDT 2018

Sébastien,

> I am trying to compile GDAL 2.3.0 with OGDI 3.2.0 library on Windows, but
> the linking step fails because some libraries (zlib, proj) are present
> twice (in the OGDI lib, and also in the GDAL build).
>
> In nmake.opt, if I remove the support for PROJ or zlib (to use the ones
> provided by OGDI), then the linker complains again because some symbols
> related to PROJ are missing. (e.g _pg_transform, _pg_init_plus...).
>
> Moreover, nmake.opt does not seem up to date with OGDI 3.2.0 (notably the
> OGDI_INCLUDE path is slightly different).

You could have a look at the build recipees of the GDAL and OGDI packages of OSGeo4W:
https://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/gdal/gdal-2.2.4-1-src.tar.bz2
https://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/ogdi/ogdi-3.2.1-1-src.tar.bz2

> The OGDI source was taken from GitHub (https://github.com/libogdi/ogdi), but
> the source taken from SourceForge is identical.

Actually the github is a bit more current since it has ogdi 3.2.1 whereas sourceforge
is now stucked to 3.2.0 since CVS support is no longer offered

> I also noted that GDAL continuous integration (appveyor) does not include
> OGDI support. Does that mean that OGDI is deprecated ?

No, it is actually tested on Linux. The Windows side is always more painful to setup,
so that given this is a somewhat marginal driver, nobody invested yet time to setup that.

> Is there an
> alternative for VPF support ?

Not that I'm aware of. At least on the C/C++ side of this world. I think GeoTools might
have a VPF reader

Even