[gdal-dev] Help with idiomatic GDAL solution for raster algebra benchmark

Alex HighViz alexhighviz at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 05:17:40 PDT 2018

Dear all,

I few times I have posted to the list trying to promote the idea of providing iterators over pixels in a raster band , and more generally to make raster data accessible using (future) standard conforming ranges. It would make implementing algorithms on raster data a lot more intuitive.  These ideas are implemented in Pronto Raster which is an OSGeo Community C++ library. Feedback in this list has been that such a solution would incur costly computational overheads.

I now have some preliminary benchmark results, where I compare Pronto Raster solutions for a simple raster overlay operation (OUT = 3 * A + B * C) to a direct and idiomatic GDAL implementation. The results seem to indicate that overheads can be negligible, depending on which Pronto Raster functions are used. I would very much appreciate it if some more experienced GDAL C++ users could look at my "idiomatic GDAL implementation" to see if it really is what it claims to be and I am not overstating the results. I can use your help.

I'd also be interested to hear any opinion about these results and the costs / benefits associated with providing pixel ranges for raster bands.

For details on the benchmark see here:    https://github.com/ahhz/raster/blob/master/docs/_posts/2018-06-14-Preliminary-benchmark-results-are-promising.md
or here: http://ahhz.github.io/raster/Preliminary-benchmark-results-are-promising/

Many thanks,  Alex