[gdal-dev] GDAL + Docker with NFS

Ouwen Huang ouwen.oh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 23:15:32 PDT 2018

Hello,

I am having some trouble loading a GeoTiff into GDAL from a docker
container that is mounting a NFS (specifically amazon EFS). When mounting a
volume with the `docker -v` command or mounting the NFS directly into
docker under `--privileged` mode. The `gdal.Open` command hangs.

I am able to run os level commands to open the GeoTiff of interest from
within the docker container. In fact, if I copy from the NFS to a local
directory, gdal works fine.

I'm trying to understand what might be causing the `gdal.Open` command to
hang. I've tested that `VSIFOpenL` and `VSIFReadL` work with the GeoTiff
within the docker container so I'm very confused what is happening.

I've tried different versions of GDAL (1.10 - 2.3) and differing versions
of docker with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Ouwen Huang