[gdal-dev] GDAL + Docker with NFS

Ouwen Huang ouwen.oh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 23:51:38 PDT 2018

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the quick response, I've been bashing my head against this for a
while.
Unfortunately restarting the docker daemon did not work for me. I can
access the EFS from within docker using regular unix commands like `cp`,
and `cat`, even with GDAL `VSIFOpenL` and `VSIFReadL`. However, `gdal.Open`
will just hang without giving an error or returning.

I'm using the following mount command from amazon EFS if this helps debug
anything:
`sudo mount -t nfs4 -o
nfsvers=4.1,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,hard,timeo=600,retrans=2
<fs-id>.efs.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:/ /mnt/efs`

I'm glad that you have a working version of this though, this had worked
for me in the past but I did not keep track of my versioning.

What host os version, docker version and gdal version are you using?

- Ouwen

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 2:31 AM Michael Smith <michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Have you restarted the docker daemon after mounting the EFS drive to the
> local OS? If not, do that and then map the volume with -v. That worked for
> me.
>
> Michael Smith
> Remote Sensing/GIS Center
> US Army Corps of Engineers
>
> > On Mar 18, 2018, at 7:15 AM, Ouwen Huang <ouwen.oh at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having some trouble loading a GeoTiff into GDAL from a docker
> container that is mounting a NFS (specifically amazon EFS). When mounting a
> volume with the `docker -v` command or mounting the NFS directly into
> docker under `--privileged` mode. The `gdal.Open` command hangs.
> >
> > I am able to run os level commands to open the GeoTiff of interest from
> within the docker container. In fact, if I copy from the NFS to a local
> directory, gdal works fine.
> >
> > I'm trying to understand what might be causing the `gdal.Open` command
> to hang. I've tested that `VSIFOpenL` and `VSIFReadL` work with the GeoTiff
> within the docker container so I'm very confused what is happening.
> >
> > I've tried different versions of GDAL (1.10 - 2.3) and differing
> versions of docker with no luck.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Best,
> > Ouwen Huang