[gdal-dev] Trac to GitHub

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 19 09:53:03 PDT 2018

On 19 March 2018 at 14:25, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> I actually discussed about that with Howard yesterday, and he suggested an
> even easier and least-effort solution. Do we actually need to migrate the
> existing Trac ticket database to github ?

I'm glad Howard came up with suggestion to simplify :-)

I think this will help us avoid issues with GitHub API,
or artificial owner of issues (a bot user) and some others that
Paul Ramsey encountered (there are some discussed in IRC logs).

> So to sum up my thoughts would be to:
> 1) Rewrite the github history (still need to figure out how to automate that)
> to fix references to Trac ticket, and force-push the result to github.com/
> OSGeo/gdal. Note: that would invalidate current forks, so people with active
> work would probably have to rebase or to export as a patch and re-apply on top
> of updated Git repository.
> 2) Open github for filing tickets
> 3) Close all Trac tickets with assignment to a "closed-before-github-
> migration" milestone, and a message "Issue reporting has now been migrated to
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues..."

I guess, you mean manual action, if you need help, I can do this monkey
job in the evening(s). Let me know.

> Does that sound good ?

To me, it does.