[gdal-dev] Support for Float16 and CFloat16

Agram, Piyush S (334D) Piyush.Agram at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 26 11:15:32 PDT 2018

Hi,
    I tried to search the gdal-dev archives but could not find much on this topic.

HDF5 files support half precision floats and so does numpy. I was wondering if there were any plans to include support for this data type?
I understand that some compilers may not support it but support could be provided by external libraries like “half”.
A lot of SAR imagery is expected to be put out in this format in the future, as it has better properties than the current CInt16 format.

Piyush