[gdal-dev] Extension based file identification in drivers

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Wed Mar 28 07:05:34 PDT 2018

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Even Rouault wrote:

>  The identification logic of drivers is supposed to operate fast
> (extension based, or on the content of the first kilobyte of the header),

If I understand correctly Frank Warmerdam did not favour extension based
file identification:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2013-February/035516.html
   GDAL is based on the idea that file formats are discovered by
   inspecting file contents rather than based on extension and I don't
   want to make it too easy for applications to ignore this principle
   and revert to extensions.

I have therefore tried to avoid using extension to identify file type.

Has thinking on this moved on in the last five years ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Cambridge, UK
 			andrew at aitchison.me.uk