[gdal-dev] FW: gdal_merge.py

Marcos Dione mdione at grulic.org.ar
Wed Mar 28 07:31:32 PDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 02:28:57PM +0200, Raphael Das Gupta wrote:
> On 27.03.2018 22:56, Ian Reese wrote:
> > Maybe this is a bug or am I using gdal_merge.py improperly.
> I've recently become unsure whether (and when) gdal_merge.py should be
> used at all, or whether gdalbuildvrt followed by gdaltranslate or
> gdalwarp is always preferable. (Also asked here:
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/q/272344/51574 )

    in my opinion, gdal_merge should be used only if the merged version
will be used for more things or if you're going to use it with something
that doesn't know how to read the .vrt files (i.e., is not using gdal).

    .vrt files have the advantage that are fats to generate, are easy to
update if one of the sources is changed, and it could be faster if the
sources are compressed and the target is thought to be compressed too (I
have no numbers to back this up, it's just a hunch).

    Cheers,

	-- Marcos.

--
(Not so) Random fortune:
The technology industry sees itself as in rebellion against corporate