[gdal-dev] '/vsicurl/https://` does not exist in the file system, and is not recognized as a supported dataset name.

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu May 10 04:47:57 PDT 2018

Guy,

> We are encountering some issue with vsicurl, we are trying to use VSICURL
> to do range queries on rasters that are in azure blob storage,
>
> We convert the azure blob to https, and in most cases it works well for us.
>
> In our execution log we see the following message:
>

> '/vsicurl/https://<a valid url>` does not exist in the file system, and is
> not recognized as a supported dataset name.
>
> The message appears with different urls every now and then.

Couldn't that be just network access failures ?
You could try to enable curl traces by setting the CPL_CURL_VERBOSE environment variable
to YES.

> One more thing: we are using GDAL version 1.10.1 I know it is old,
> Do you know, if the issue might have been fixed in recent versions?

Hard to tell if that would fix the issue you are seeing, but there have been a flow of changes
in that area, including during the 2.3.0 development cycle so I'd suggest you to have a try at
2.3.0RC1
And it has native support for Azure blobs (computing automatically the signature):
http://gdal.org/gdal_virtual_file_systems.html#gdal_virtual_file_systems_vsiaz

And if the random network failures hypothsis is correct, you could test setting the
GDAL_HTTP_MAX_RETRY  environment variable (new to GDAL 2.3 in the /vsicurl/ and related
file systems)

Even