[gdal-dev] How to debug the shape open option "encoding"?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri May 11 09:40:53 PDT 2018

Jukka,

AFAIR there shouldn't be significant differences of behaviour in the shapefile driver between
2.2.4 and 2.3.0 . Can you share the problematic shapefile ?

> Is there anything else that an end user could do for finding out why the
> gisinternals build fails with recoding?

Probably not

> BTW is it documented somewhere
> which are the correct values for different encodings? For example in my
> case I had to use exactly "-oo encoding="ISO_8859-1".

This is the values supported by iconv. Might depend on iconv is compiled I guess.
But I'm a bit confused by your report. Did  "-oo encoding="ISO_8859-1" worked despite the
warnings ?

Even