[gdal-dev] [OSGeo/gdal] Fix the datadir in gdal.pc. (#609)

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat May 12 01:18:31 PDT 2018

Ari,

> > How do I merge a PR into another branch than master?
>
> I made a try to -- PR #614 -- which was a mistake.

It is possible to do a PR against a non-master branch, but you need to apply the commit in
that branch, and in the GitHub UI make sure the base branch it selects is that branch.

> Now I did it by creating a local clone of OSGeo/gdal and
> editing/committing/pushing its release/2.3 branch.

You can use a single clone for all branches and uses git checkout to switch branches. That
said, as someone regularly dealing with several branches, I find it more convenient to havea
actually one local clone per active branch I use to avoid re-configuring/making each time I
switch.

> I found this
> http://www.draconianoverlord.com/2013/09/07/no-cherry-picking.html
>
> I wonder should I have based my PR on a version that is common to master
> and release/2.3. That PR could have been merged to both of those(?).

There are different schools regarding cherry-picking vs merging. For example, QGIS uses
cherry-picking too. Whereas MapServer uses merging from stable branch to master.

Cherry-picking is fine to me and that's what I use.  See notes at end of CONTRIBUTING.md. I
find it to offer more control than merging.

Even