[gdal-dev] Example about how to save Tiled Gridded Coverage Data into GeoPackage

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue May 15 05:36:12 PDT 2018

Even Rouault wrote:

> On mardi 15 mai 2018 07:58:27 CEST Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any examples available about how to convert some DEM data into
>> GeoPackage according to the Tiled Gridded Coverage Data extension that GDAL
>> 2.3 supports?

> Jukka,

> Just gdal_translate from a single-band raster with data type Int16, UInt16 or Float32 (or use -ot to force one of those types)

Thanks, works well with 32 bit floating point tiffs as source and the gpkg DEM opens fine with QGIS 3. I know I can add several DEM tiffs by combining them into one datasource with VRT but is there any way to add data into an existing raster table? I understand that a general solution would be tricky because new data might require to increase the tile matrix, and within the existing matrix a well working system should be able to combine and merge partial tiles. But is it possible to add data into raster table at all, for example by inserting and overwriting tiles in Web Mercator grid?

-Jukka-