[gdal-dev] Using GeoPackage as vector tile container?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu May 31 07:21:51 PDT 2018

On jeudi 31 mai 2018 14:02:32 CEST Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder what would it need to store vector tiles into GeoPackage instead of
> MBTiles. Officially probably a new extension like the Tiled Gridded
> Coverage Data extension, but wouln't it technically be rather simple to
> write vector tiles as BLOBs into the tile_data column instead of png or
> jpeg BLOBs?

"Rather simple", well that's arguable from an implementation point of view,
since the architecture of the MVT and GeoPackage drivers isn't naturally
compatible to make them work together currently.

But conceptually yes, the vector tiles as BLOBS of a tile pyramid user table
would be a good fit You would also need to write metadata to describe the
layers and attributes, to avoid having to scan all the tiles to retrieve it
(at least for OGR point of view that has a fixed schema constraint to expose
vector features)

Even