[gdal-dev] downsampling geotiff with a low-pass filter

Kay F. Jahnke _kfj at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 03:06:36 PST 2018

Hi all!

I have a very detailed GeoTIFF DEM of part of my target area (2m
resolution). The remainder of the area is covered in 5m. So I'd like to
downsample the moore detailed data to have everything in 5m for further
processing. The nearest thing to what I have in mind is using -r
average, but from signal processing theory I know that using a simple
average over a block of data is not a good approximation for a low-pass
filter. Also, since some of the source pixels are fully inside the
target pixels and some are only partly (5 doesn't divide by 2), An
average over all participating source pixels seems wrong. What would you
advise?

With regards
Kay