[gdal-dev] parsing of netcdf4 no-data values in hdf5 reader

Bekaert, David (334H) David.Bekaert at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 10 10:28:59 PDT 2018

Dear GDAL developers,

I generated a netcdf4 file using python netCDF4 module.
As indicated in the documentation, GDAL opens this file with the HDF5 reader without problem.
I am also able to properly display the geocoded file with QGIS (no-data not applied) and panoply (no-data applied).

From reading through the code I believe the GDAL hdf5 reader does not parse a “no-data” attribute of the dataset.
For the GDAL netcdf reader I found this is being tracked among other attributes.
Do you have any advice on what I need to do for GDAL to capture e.g. “missing_value” , “_FillValue” or even a “nodata” attribute from the netcdf4 datasets using the hdf5 reader?

Thank you for your advice and help,
With kind regards,

David