[gdal-dev] Maximum size of Raster and vector layers in geopackage database

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Sep 6 00:11:35 PDT 2018

On mercredi 5 septembre 2018 16:48:52 CEST Newcomb, Doug wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I was in a meeting today and the question came up:
> What is the maximum size of a vector data layer in a geopackage database? a
> raster layer?

No limits other than the ones of the SQLite format

Quoting http://www.geopackage.org/spec/
"""
The maximum size of a GeoPackage file is about 140TB [K4a]. In practice a
lower size limit MAY be imposed by the filesystem to which the file is
written. Many mobile devices require external memory cards to be formatted
using the FAT32 file system which imposes a maximum size limit of 4GB.
"""

Even