[gdal-dev] Issue #2068 on Mint 19

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 15 06:43:32 PDT 2018

On 9/15/18 2:28 PM, Micha Silver wrote:
> AFAIK, you don't necessarily need the ubuntugis repo in bionic distros.
> The regular ubuntu repos have pretty recent versions. On my Mint systems
> I get GRASS 7.4.0, and gdal 2.2.3.  But every invocation of gdal
> commands begins with:
> micha at TP480:~$ gdalinfo --version
> ERROR 1: libgrass_dgl.7.4.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> ERROR 1: libgrass_dgl.7.4.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> ERROR 1: libgrass_vector.7.4.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory
> ERROR 1: libgrass_vector.7.4.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory
> GDAL 2.2.3, released 2017/11/20

That's a known issue on Ubuntu based systems which build with
--as-needed by default. A fix was added in libgdal-grass (2.3.0-2)
triggered by https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/ticket/2068.

This fix is also available in libgdal-grass (2.2.3-3~bionic0) in the
OSGeoLive PPA, but not in the ubuntugis-unstable PPA (any more). It's
possible that a later rebuild of the libgdal-grass package reverted the fix.

> And these errors are appearing also in R with the MODIS package.
>
> What are the implications of adding the ubuntugis-unstable repo to solve
> this?

The libgdal-grass package in the UbuntuGIS PPA needs to be fixed. The
older package from bionic most likely also doesn't have this fix.

Kind Regards,

Bas