[gdal-dev] Restoring functions removed in 2.5 beta1

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Mon Apr 22 08:07:30 PDT 2019

Hi Even,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 4:09 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Sean,
>

> > The Fiona and Rasterio projects won't build with the pre-release because,
> > for better or worse, they reference and use OSRFixup, which has been
> > removed. I've filed issue #1466 about this.
> >
> > Yes, we can add shims to Fiona and Rasterio so we can support versions
> > 2.0-2.5, but this does nothing for software that's already installed on
> > computers. If a no-op version of OSRFixup were restored to GDAL 2.5,
> these
> > projects and previously installed versions of them would likely work just
> > fine with 2.5.
>
> I'm not so sure restoring the functions is enough. This might give a false
> impression. More testing & other changes will generally be needed because
> of
> all the revamp that has done in that area of SRS functionnality, like
> changes
> in axis order.

I had the impression from reading RFC 73 that the data-crs axes mapping
concerns would be, with a few exceptions, internal to GDAL and OGR and that
things would be unchanged for Rasterio and Fiona. Specifically, the intent
is that OGR_G_GetX and OGR_G_GetY (used by Fiona:
https://github.com/Toblerity/Fiona/blob/master/fiona/_geometry.pyx#L123)
will by default return the same values in GIS-friendly order as in 2.4. Yes?

If that's not the intent or the reality, then I'll accept that 2.5 is
practically a new major version and adjust accordingly.

I remain excited about the SRS enhancements and the centralization of
features in PROJ and am looking forward to getting over the hump.

--
Sean Gillies