[gdal-dev] FileGBD vs OpenFileGBD, a few of questions

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Feb 12 00:46:36 PST 2019

On mardi 12 février 2019 10:24:50 CET Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 23:33, Andrea Aime <andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it>
wrote:
> > I've tried to open a relatively small file, 20MB, 200k lines, works and
> > displays fine, the in memory spatial index (from the docs, "By default,
> > it will also build on the fly a in-memory spatial index during the first
> > sequential read of a layer") seems to be effective.
>
> Just on this topic -- Even in your opinion, what's the likely that the
> OpenFileGDB driver will ever gain support for existing spatial
> indices? Is this functionality missing due to lack of funds/demands,
> or because of difficulties in the reverse engineering?

There's clearly demand for it. I had been offered funding to complete the
reverse engineerings, but I'm short of ideas and money doesn't always make
people suddenly smarter :-)
That said, I've the feeling that's this is doable. A spatial index entry is
just 8 bytes... Probably just a matter of a new brain looking at the issue and
having the appropriate intuition.

My findings are in the "Partial specification of .spx files" section of
https://github.com/rouault/dump_gdbtable/wiki/FGDB-Spec

Even