[gdal-dev] OGRFormatDouble

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 08:31:14 PST 2019

Hi,

I'm looking at OGRFormatDouble and trying to understand why it exists, as
such.  It seems to impose its own formatting for double-precision values
that is different from what is standardized in the C/C++ languages.  Other
than imposing consistency where there is variability in the standards
(string representation of infinity, for example), I'm wondering if there is
any specific issue that the code is trying to address.

I don't like changing existing behavior, but in this case, conforming to
existing standards seems to provide more clarity to users, provided that
the OGR-specific formatting doesn't serve a purpose other than satisfying
the desires of a previous developer or working around non-standard
implementations that no longer exist.

Any thoughts appreciated,

--
Andrew Bell