[gdal-dev] Is there an easy way to clip an image to the realdata?

lars.schylberg at blixtmail.se lars.schylberg at blixtmail.se
Thu Jun 27 07:30:57 PDT 2019

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply!

I have some scripts that I developed this winter that contains a function
to clip an image or images to the parts that only contains data.

My aim was to create tighter tile indexes for Mapserver.
I achieved good results for my use case.

This will be one of the topics that I will present in my talk at
FOSS4G in Bucharest in August.  I haven't yet prepared the details how to
explain what I did.  But here we go:

1) First I retile the data to suitable size,
2) then check for empty tiles that I throw away.

The function "trim_tile" is actually what You are asking for, I think.

What I do in the function trim_tile is to use:

1) gdal_calc to produce a binary image where I have data
2) polygonize where data exists
3) compare extents
4) clip data with gdal_translate with projwin argument, if polygon extent is smaller

All is done in a bash script, since it is my preferred language to do things fast.
I use gnu parallel to speed things up. In my case I had 16 cpus in the server.
Some versions of parallel requires the argument "--will-cite", others don't.

I made my own bash version of retiling that keeps masks.

Further notes is that the script is working on paletted tif 8 bit image.
I have a version for rbg images also.  The main difference is that the
empty image test looks like this in that case:

STDDEV=$(gdalinfo $tile -stats | \
	grep STATISTICS_STDDEV | \
	sed 's/STATISTICS_STDDEV=//g' | \
	awk '{$1=$1;printf "%d", $1}')

	if [ "$STDDEV" = "000" ]; then
		/bin/rm $tile
	fi

If You have tagged nodata values, those have to be removed with gdal_edit.py
before You run statistics and then reaplied afterwards with gdal_edit again.

This might hopefully give some inspiration for you how to tackle your
use case.

The full script can be found here:

https://gist.github.com/LarsSchy/9ecb31eb964dd83820c139b2f2769a7c

Have fun