[gdal-dev] CreateCopy() does not copy overviews of dataset?

Matsamentet mbu at teleplan.no
Thu May 16 00:18:47 PDT 2019

Hi all!

I'm trying to do the following using Python: Take a GeoTIFF file as input,
and build an in-memory GeoPackage. Then build overviews on the GeoPackage,
and finally writing it out to disk.

Before the last step, I have confirmed that the dataset contains overviews
by using GetOverviewCount() on one of its bands. I then use CreateCopy() to
write the dataset to file, but the file which is written does not contain
any overviews. Is this the intended behaviour of CreateCopy() ? If so, is
there another way to go about this?

This is my code:

---

srcfile = 'input.tif'
outputvsimem = '/vsimem/output.gpkg'

warpoptions = gdal.WarpOptions(format='GPKG',
warpOptions='SKIP_NOSOURCE=YES', \
                                           dstAlpha=False, multithread=True)
gpkg = gdal.Warp(outputvsimem, srcfile, options=warpoptions)

overviews = [2,4,8,16,32,64,128]
gpkg.BuildOverviews('AVERAGE',overviews)

gpkgdriver = gdal.GetDriverByName('GPKG')
outputdataset = gpkgdriver.CreateCopy(outputfile, gpkg, strict=0)

outputdataset = None
gpkg = None
gdal.Unlink(outputvsimem)