[gdal-dev] Doc: driver + config options summary pages [was Re: How to know which formats allow editing with ogrinfo?]

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Nov 16 09:12:38 PST 2019

> > If so, then yes if someone contributes it, that'd be welcome. However I
> > think we'd want it to be generated from a Python script from the
> > individual .rst pages, by parsing the directives like "..
> > supports_create::" that are in those .rst files. That way that would make
> > maintainance of the summary easier (and initial version less tidious that
> > doing that manually)

OK, so I've added two new directives

.. built_in_by_default::

or

.. build_dependencies:: put here dependencies name

and just used them on a couple drivers for demo:
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/0b3b1ed25bdde6f49a6515e0431d78bc9729ff83

A script that fetches all the information from individual pages
is run automatically at each documentation build and generates a summary table
at
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/index.html
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/index.html

==> What remains to be done is to go through all driver .rst pages and add
.. built_in_by_default:: or .. build_dependencies:: where appropriate so that
no "???" remains

Volunteers ?

> > Migrating the wiki page to the doc could be useful. My own opinion is that
> > driver specific configuration options should be documented in the driver
> > specific page, rather than in a global config option page. Same with /vsi

I've also added a specific role when you use a configuration option

:decl_configoption:`FOO`

Example of use:

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/c8fcb6d941c0251219dbd57f701e5b161ce5085e

Similarly to the driver list, a script is run at each build to generate an
index of declared configuration options (if several pages declare the same
config option, several links will be created). The result is there:

https://gdal.org/user/configoptions_index.html

==> What remains to be done is tag appropriately configuration options
wherever they are already mentionned and add missing ones.

Volunteers ?

Even