[gdal-dev] Sampling raster bands at irregular points

Christoph Paulik cpaulik at vandersat.com
Thu Dec 3 05:28:01 PST 2020

Hi Felix,

I'm really not sure I understand what exactly you are trying to do.
But if you have not tried pyresample yet it might do what you want. See
https://pyresample.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Christoph

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 14:16, Felix <felix.divo at sailingteam.tu-darmstadt.de>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm here for some suggestions on how to sample from a raster band at
> _non-regular_ points. Non-regular in this context means that the points
> have arbitrary coordinates and do not lie on a regular lattice/mesh like
> all pairs of integers would do.
>
> In my application, there is an irregular set of points for which we
> require bathymetric data (i.e. topographical data/elevation). I started
> out by manually reading in the ETOPO1 dataset (for now, we might use
> Earth2014 later) and then interpolating around each point sequentially.
> As we have up to hundred-tousands of points and doing the computation
> sequentially in Python/numpy, this is currently running for days (well,
> we canceled it at that point).
>
> Ideally, I'd like to use something like the "gdal_grid" tool, where the
> interpolation algorithm can be configured and the heavy-lifting is done
> in C rather than in Python. But it only supports creating a new
> _regular_ grid. The inverse distance interpolation with cutoff radii
> would be ideal.
>
> Does such a tool/such functionality exist in in GDAL or was my search
> rightfully fruitless? I mainly searched in the raster programs, the
> (C++) API of GDALRasterBand and of course generally in the internet.
> Thank you for your suggestions, in advance!
>
> Cheers and Stay Safe
> Felix Divo

*Christoph Paulik* | Head of Infrastructure

*VanderSat.** Unmatched water data. Satellite observed.*

Wilhelminastraat 43a, 2011 VK, Haarlem, The Netherlands

M: +31(0)618271928
vandersat.com <http://www.vandersat.com/> | Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/vandersat> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/VanderSatNL>