[gdal-dev] Refreshing GDAL's logo

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Jan 25 09:52:14 PST 2020

Hi,

A number of people have expressed a wish to refresh GDAL's logo and have
already submitted ideas in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/2117

In order to make the topic advance in a positive way, I suggest the following
guidelines for an informal contest starting now:
- Propositions must be added to the above ticket until February 8 any time
zone. In the spirit of "release early release often", it is suggested that
people don't wait until the deadline so as to benefit from community feedback
and potentially improve their proposals.
- Each proposition must be clearly associated with a "${person_name}_$
{unique_id}" identifier so we can unambiguously reference propositions.
- A same person can issue any number of propositions.
- Community members are invited to express their preferences in the ticket.
- PSC will have final word on adopting a proposition or keeping the current
logo if no clear concensus emerges. I hope other PSC members have better
visual judgment than me to evaluate propositions ;-)
- The selected proposition will have to be ultimately released as SVG readable
by FOSS tools. With a color & back-white version
- The selected proposition will have to be ultimately licensed under CC0 /
Public domain for the sake of simplicity of use. For due credit, the author
will be more than welcome to indicate its authorship, typically in rdf
metadata, as was done for the PROJ logo (*)
- Perhaps I've forgotten rules that will be added later. Hence the informal
contest :-)

Happy sketching,

Even

(*) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/PROJ/master/media/logo.svg

PS: I would have appreciated if someone else from the community had taken the
lead on writing this email, as suggested in the ticket. Don't be shy.