[gdal-dev] WEBP in GEOTIFF

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Oct 10 03:41:48 PDT 2020

Andreas,

> Interesting - thanks for the hint about turbo-jpeg.
>
> I found out that my gdal is linked against libjpeg.so.8 and not against
> libturbojpeg.so.0 which is also present on my system.
>
> Would I have to tell gdal to compile against libturbojpeg with the
> --with-jpeg= flag in order to benefit from turbo-jpeg?

Ubuntu has shipped for a long time libjpeg-turbo as the system libjpeg.so.8. It has the same
ABI and behaviour as the corresponding IJG version, so it can be used as a complete
replacement.

If you want to check:
objdump -T /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.8 | grep LIBJPEGTURBO

0000000000000000 g    DO *ABS*	0000000000000000  LIBJPEGTURBO_8.0
LIBJPEGTURBO_8.0

(libturbojpeg.so uses a slightly different API, that is only useful for applications directly
targetted at it. Not used by GDAL. More details at
https://libjpeg-turbo.org/About/TurboJPEG)

> And yes, the mask thing is what I was struggling with JPEG compression
> and RGB images, but I got the mask to work by using the following
>
> gdal_translate command:
> |gdal_translate -b 1 -b 2 -b 3 -b mask -of COG --config
>
> GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN TRUE\ -co COMPRESS=JPEG -co BIGTIFF=YES -co
> NUM_THREADS=4 -a_srs EPSG:2056\ infile.vrt outfile.tif|

Hum, normally the COG driver makes the internal necessary steps to convert an alpha band to
a mask band when using JPEG compression

Even