[gdal-dev] Proposed GDAL 3.3 release schedule

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Apr 7 03:44:57 PDT 2021

Idan,
> What is the policy for accepting feature PRs (not bug fixes) ?
> I mean do all new features from when beta/RC is published will be
> merged only to the next minor version, i.e. 3.4 ?

Between beta1 and RC1, some feature PRs might be accepted, but not ones
with strong impacts (typically should not require any change in
packaging build recipees)

At time RC1 is created, master becomes 3.4dev, and feature PRs are only
for master, and release/3.3 is branched. Bug fixes go in master and
release/3.3. If a severe enough bugfix is found after RC1 and before
final, then a RC2 might be issued.

> Because we cannot release gdal-utils
> <https://pypi.org/project/gdal-utils/> version 3.3.0 for that version
> number had been used (and deleted to avoid further confusion), I
> suggest we declare that:
> gdal 3.3.0 + gdal_utils 3.3.0.x are beta (x>6);
> gdal 3.3.1 + gdal_utils 3.3.1 will be the final release,
> Does it make sense or is it too confusing ?

A bit confusing. I do want a 3.3.0 final production ready GDAL release.
That the new gdal_utils pip package starts at 3.3.0.6 is a bit
unfortunate, but I can live with that. That will not break anyone.

Even