[gdal-dev] Fw: Building GDAL with ECW support

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Feb 4 13:14:05 PST 2021

On 2/4/21 9:54 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Therefore, I'm gonna need to tell the compiler to get GDAL from the folder it's been installed in.

> Well, if you installed GDAL with "make install" it should be there
> (ok, probably in /usr/local/bin/ and not /usr/lib/).

Well, as I did not know the plan was to use gdal for GRASS, I sent my personal instructions which installed a second/third version in the home dir of the user.

So better to re-install/configure gdal so it will install it in the 'standard linux dirs' as Markus points to,

So instead of

./configure --prefix=/home/richard/bin/gdal --with-ecw=/home/richard/bin/ecw5.5.0

you will just do

./configure --with-ecw=/home/richard/bin/ecw5.5.0

The --prefix part is the place where all stuff will be installed with the 'make install'.

If your own gdal is in /usr/local/bin, grass will 'just find it' (as that is one of the normal paths the compile tools will search for needed libs).

I think (plz correct me if I'm wrong) it i safest to de-install the distro's gdal first...

(and another option is in the GRASS compile step to explicitly point to the 'prefix-'-path of your own gdal)

Hope this make sense,

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde