[gdal-dev] Unable to install GDAL on macOS with pip

Chris Marsh chris.marsh at usask.ca
Mon Jan 11 10:18:31 PST 2021

Hi,
You need to have the gdal binaries installed before pip install gdal will
work. Specifically, pip install gdal installs the python bindings for gdal.

In my opinion on mac, the easiest way is to install gdal via homebrew. Then
the configuration utility gdal-info should be on the path and pip install
GDAL should work
https://pypi.org/project/GDAL/

Going the homebrew route for gdal will ensure you have everything needed
for gdal to work and avoids the complication of having to compile gdal
yourself.

Personally, I use gdal from base homebrew and then use this repackaging of
the python gdal bindings. I've found it to be more reliable with venvs.
https://github.com/nextgis/pygdal

Both methods should work though,

Cheers
Chris