[gdal-dev] Setting roles in PostGIS connection

Pekka Sarkola pekka at gispo.fi
Thu Jul 1 23:52:26 PDT 2021

Hi!

We have a PostGIS database with login roles and group roles (like "admins",
"editors" and "viewers"). We have defined that only "admins" can create new
schemas and tables (among other privileges). My problem is that I'd like to
use ogr2ogr to bulk load some data to a PostGIS database using ogr2ogr
with a certain login role with "admins" role.

It seems that it is not possible to define roles in PostgreSQL connection
parameters (my first try) or in PostgreSQL driver options.

I tried to use PREDUDE_STATEMENTS like: "-doo "PRELUDE_STATEMENTS=SET ROLE
admins", but got warning "Warning 1: -doo ignored when creating the output
datasource."

Any solutions or suggestions?

There is also similar case in QGIS: Supporting "set role" when connecting
to a postgres database - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/42763

Versions: GDAL 3.0.4, released 2020/01/28, PostgreSQL 12.7, PostGIS 3.1

Rgs,

Pekka

Pekka Sarkola
Gispo Oy