[gdal-dev] Freenode IRC taken over(was Fwd: [SAC] [Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu May 20 10:04:29 PDT 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 11:09, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 09:00:52PM +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> >

> > - something else ?
>
> In case you missed it, OSGeo is now hosting a Matrix homeserver:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:MatrixSynapse
>
> Matrix is an open protocol for instant messaging based on HTTP,
> supports bridges to different IM systems (including IRC and Slack).

Those of us who used to use Matrix,
stopped using it,
perhaps deactivated their accounts,
then want to use it again,
perhaps with the same username,
then don't bang your head at the desk in frustration
when the "computer says no!"

Here is response I have received from the Matrix support team
after learning to get in touch with them about the issue [1]

"""
Hi Mateusz
Unfortunately it is impossible to verify the identity of deleted users.
Per the matrix.org Privacy Notice (
https://matrix.org/legal/privacy-notice#2211-account-and-profile-information
):
"Your username is stored indefinitely to avoid account recycling."
To protect the security and privacy of our users we never reactivate
or release deleted usernames.
We recommend you create a new account using a different Matrix ID.
Matrix.org Support
"""

[1] https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/pull/7908#issuecomment-708338470