[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 81: support for coordinate epochs in geospatial formats

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu May 27 06:40:14 PDT 2021

Hi,

- merging the underlying API without any format support is I believe of
little interest. So I'll wait for at least one format (likely
GeoPackage) to have merged in the master of their specification an
official way of storing the coordinate epoch. I've also prepared an
enhancement of the GeoTIFF spec regarding this
(https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/pull/99) that will likely be
discussed at the next OGC GeoTIFF SWG meeting.

- I've just chatted with Howard and a good compromise could be that for
formats that will have an official way of storing the coordinate epoch,
we store it by default (when it is set), and for formats that we
unilaterally extend (GML, KML, GeoJSON, etc.), we require an explicit
GDAL_ENABLE_COORD_EPOCH_STORAGE=YES configuration option to be set
(default would be NO). We might revisit in the future the default value.

- On the vector side of things, things will probably get more
complicated for some drivers, as it is likely that Spatialite (see
https://groups.google.com/g/spatialite-users/c/NtbuBpRzYBE) or PostGIS
might have per-geometry coordinate epoch, not at the layer level. But I
don't think that would invalidate having support for it at the layer
level (those database already support a per-geometry CRS, but GDAL
support for that is probably lacking a bit in those drivers), as a
OGRGeometry can potentially be associated with its own
OGRSpatialReference object.

Even