[gdal-dev] RFC 84: Migrating build systems to CMake

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Oct 5 05:50:56 PDT 2021

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> Please find at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/4590 a RFC that proposes:
>
> - to develop a CMake build system, officially integrated in the source tree.
>
> - and remove the current GNU makefiles and nmake build systems, when
> the CMake build system has matured enough and reached feature parity.

I added a comment that requirements should be stated and gave a first
cut at them.  My big problem with cmake from packaging is that people
write CMakefile code with OS-specific tests instead of feature tests and
then packagers have to add lots of patches that add OS names to
conditionals.  So the requireents should ban that practice in favor of
feature tests.

The other big comment is that "matured enough" is not just for what the
project can test on CI, but the entire packaging world, so I included
having a formal release with cmake where autoconf is marked deprecated
for packagers to try to make work, so those issues can be fixed before a
release without autoconf.  I get it that the project has CI for what
they have, but I don't think that requirements should be driven by what
CI exists.

I'm willing to test on alpha/beta/rc; I can create a
separate/work-in-progress package that is gdal alpha built with cmake,
to flush out these things.