[gdal-dev] Official IRC channel

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 8 08:30:44 PDT 2021

> Hi Even, we registered on libera.chat network as OSGeo, covering a few
> namespaces, but "gdal" namespace was left out. Would you agree on
> adding it under the OSGeo project umbrella and to be part of the
> contact list for the OSGeo project ?
I've actually sent yesterday an email to libera admins to register
#gdal, but didn't mention anything related to linking it to OSGeo. I got
an automated reply from them to acknowledge the request. I'll add you in
CC of that, so you can specify the right technical terms to them to link
that to OSGeo.

> The current list of contacts is here:
>    https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IRC#Libera
>
> The GDAL IRC channel line on the wiki was also already
> updated to point to libera:
>    https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IRC#Libera
>
> Note that in order to setup the bridge with the Matrix room we need
> an Administrator of the Matrix room (I'm Administrator, and will
> happily grant it to you if you give me a matrix UserID which you
> consider "safe" - @rouault:osgeo.org is ok?) and also an IRC channel
> *operator*, which can't be obtained at the moment if we don't register
> it somehow.
I'm illiterate in Matrix and not really willing to learn it. Feel free
to take care of that part.