[gdal-dev] gdal with stack smash protection

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Apr 8 06:50:36 PDT 2022

Kavitha K <kmskavi at gmail.com> writes:

> I m looking for gdal with build support - stack smash protection
>
> please confirm whether it is supported with stack smash protection
>
> if yes, which version is supported?

This is the dev list, so I'm assuming

  - you are already comfortable building gdal
  - you have already run the tests on your own builds
  - you intend to try to build and use a version with hardening features
    enabled
  - you realize that you should rerun the tests with the new build

but that beyond that you wonder if there is experience that would
suggest you shouldn't try because it's known to fail or that even if
builds work and tests pass it will be trouble in practice.

I maintain gdal in pkgsrc, and I just checked that gdal has no hardening
annotations, which means it's getting

  Fortify
  SSP at the "strong" level
  RELO at the partial level
  building PIE

  (details at http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/hardening.html)

and with this I don't see test issues that I attribute to this, and I
actually use gdal including with qgis (all on NetBSD 9 amd64) and see no
issues.

I am pretty sure if gdal works without SSP and fails with that this
would be viewed as a bug by the gdal community, but my guess is you
won't find that, because I haven't, and probably any such issues have
been long fixed.

Greg