[gdal-dev] How to read a PGeo source file using GDAL 2.4

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:43:15 PDT 2022

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 at 23:36, andy <aborruso at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have compiled GDAL to enable PGeo, and now I have it in --formats.
>
> But if I run "ogrinfo PGeo:input.mdb", I have
>
> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not supported.
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for input.mdb,
> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not supported.
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for input.mdb
>

> How to solve this problem?

In all honesty, you'll be fighting an uphill battle trying to get pgeo
working nicely on older GDAL (and mdbtools) releases. There's been
*many( fixes to both libraries over the past 12 months to get things
working well, so you really want at least GDAL 3.4 and mdbtools 1.0.
(The good news is that with these versions everything should work
great, and even support modern GDAL functionality like field domains
and metadata (and in GDAL 3.6+, relationships)).

That said, you may have some luck if you try setting the environment
variable "OGR_SKIP=ODBC". That was required for a working mdbtools
driver on older GDAL releases.

Nyall