[gdal-dev] Any way to get an autocompletion for ogr/gdal utilities?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Feb 3 02:02:25 PST 2022

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 11:59 PM Thomas Gratier
<osgeo.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Linux, when I type `ogr` in a command line, and on the keyboard type on "tab" key, I get all binaries starting with `ogr` e.g
>
> > ogr2ogr      ogrinfo      ogrlineref   ogrmerge.py  ogrtindex
>
> When using command line like git, I type `git commit --` then use again the tab key and it returns something like below
>
> > --ahead-behind      --date=             --include           --no-verify         --reedit-message=   --status
> > --all               --dry-run           --interactive       --null              --reset-author      --template=
> > --amend             --edit              --long              --only              --reuse-message=    --untracked-files
> > --author=           --file=             --message=          --patch             --short             --verbose
> > --branch            --fixup=            --no-edit           --porcelain         --signoff           --verify
> > --cleanup=          --gpg-sign          --no-post-rewrite   --quiet             --squash=
>
> So, I do expect a way to get autocompletion or choice when I do something like `ogr2ogr -` followed by typing on tab key.
>
> Is there an existing script or a tip I'm not aware? Or do I need to work to create it to get something similar to git command where there is a script to add autocompletion?

AFAIK this requires bash/zsh completion support.

E.g., for core Git, on my Fedora box it is defined in

/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git

and part of the package:
rpm -qf /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git
git-core-2.34.1-1.fc35.x86_64

Likewise, there is

/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/ogr2ogr
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/ogrinfo
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/ogrlineref
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/ogrmerge.py
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/ogrtindex

Here it works:
ogrinfo --<tab>
--config        --format        --help-general  --locale        --pause
--debug         --formats       --license       --optfile       --version

Maybe you package installation is incomplete?

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD