[gdal-dev] does GDAL require proj at 7?

Gerald Nelson nelson.gerald.c at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:09:06 PST 2022

I indirectly make a lot of use of GDAL which makes a lot of use of proj. I do all this on a new Macbook pro with Apple Silicon. I manage these things with homebrew. It was a tiny bit complicated to get homebrew running to take advantage of the new silicon but I’ve been doing that successfully for a month or so.

At some point in the past I installed proj at 7 from homebrew. That’s now deprecated but I can’t seem to kill it on my system. Lots of brew uninstall and install/upgrade commands. I used locate in a terminal and attempted to delete all the files with proj at 7 in their names. I’m currently have this set of exchanges

gcn at MacBook-Pro-M1X Cellar % brew install gdal

Warning: No available formula with the name "proj at 7" (dependency of gdal). Did you mean proj?

==> Searching for similarly named formulae...

This similarly named formula was found:

proj ✔

To install it, run:

  brew install proj ✔
gcn at MacBook-Pro-M1X Cellar % brew install proj
To restore the stashed changes to /opt/homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core, run:
  cd /opt/homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core && git stash pop
Running `brew update --preinstall`...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 2 taps (homebrew/core and homebrew/cask).
==> Updated Formulae
Updated 1 formula.
==> Updated Casks
Updated 4 casks.

Warning: proj 8.2.1 is already installed and up-to-date.
To reinstall 8.2.1, run:
  brew reinstall proj
gcn at MacBook-Pro-M1X Cellar %   cd /opt/homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core && git stash pop
Removing Formula/proj at 7.rb
On branch master
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
       deleted:    Formula/proj at 7.rb

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
Dropped refs/stash@{0} (cf00995d0160fc9ed0889b664973b1c75a4a5925)

At this point I’m stuck on next steps. I suspect this is not a gdal problem per se but something in homebrew I’m not understanding.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Jerry

Gerald C. Nelson
Professor Emeritus, UIUC