[gdal-dev] does GDAL require proj at 7?

Gerald Nelson nelson.gerald.c at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 06:40:08 PST 2022

Not malice, just an “it’s not our problem” response. That was from one person; others have been more helpful. It turns out that it is complicated because of the gdal dependency tree. Here’s an explanation from https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/94807

We're in a bit of bind here. I was able to migrate all dependents of proj at 7 to proj except 3:

  *   liblwgeom - deprecated, appears to be superseded by librttopo
  *   osm2pgsql - this project appears to be active (the last release was 16 days ago). We should open an upstream issue to inquire about PROJ 8 support
  *   spatialite-gui - this is where our remaining dependency conflict comes from, and it's not pretty. The last stable version doesn't support PROJ 8, but the 2.1 beta does. I tried to build the 2.1 beta just to see if would work, and it fails because it needs librasterlite2, which we don't package. Our librasterlite formula is for an older library which is no longer developed because it has been superseded by librasterlite2. Potentially we could just update the librasterlite formula because it has no dependents. But that doesn't help with version 2.1 of spatialite-gui still being in beta.
Any thoughts on the best solution here?

This is way outside my level of expertise. But it seems someone with some serious homebrew expertise is looking into it seriously.

Gerald C. Nelson
Professor Emeritus, UIUC
+1 217-390-7888 (cell)
+1 970-639-2079 (land line)