[gdal-dev] gdal_translate differences between versions 3.4.3 and 3.5.1?

Matthew Savoie matthew.savoie at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 27 12:19:51 PDT 2022

Hi Even,

> I have run this command with gdal 3.4.3 and gdal 3.5.1 and get different output files.

Can you compare the output of the two versions of gdalinfo ?
This should determine whether the difference is when reading or writing.
Good idea, I did that and there is no difference in the output of gdalinfo between 3.4.3 and 3.5.1 on the test.nc file.

Are you 100% sure about that ? It is highly unlikely that the difference would be on the side of the output driver (GeoTIFF), and much more likely on the reading side (netCDF). There have been adjustments recently in the netCDF driver to be a bit more restrictive regarding exposing geotransforms (the driver could expose non relevant geotransforms), that have had side effects on some files where they could be legitimate.

You can likely workaround the issue by definining the configuration option / environment variable GDAL_NETCDF_IGNORE_XY_AXIS_NAME_CHECKS to YES (cf https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/netcdf.html#georeference).

Yes, I rechecked the output of gdalinfo on the file.  Here is a link to my shared drive.
gdal-test<https://o365coloradoedu-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/savoie_colorado_edu/EjihTcOSuZdJiZiiJmXkEiABHpbXHPFab6MbnjSfyfDLfw?e=qhQYmF>

The files are the test.nc file (which is in fact a copy of a dataset file 20210429090000-JPL-L4_GHRSST-SSTfnd-MUR-GLOB-v02.0-fv04.1.nc)
test.nc.dump which is the output of ncdump -h on the file
gdal.3.4.3.out and gdal3.5.1.out which are the result of two commands gdalinfo –version and gdalinfo test.nc. You can see the only difference  is the version.

I will look at the config option to see how to get around this.  Thanks.

Matt