[gdal-dev] best tiff tag names for start and end datetimes?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri May 13 06:49:02 PDT 2022

Simon,

metadata is a tricky subject. To my knowledge, up to know most data
producers of GeoTIFF files have used minimalist embedded metadata in the
TIFF file itself (mostly using the ImageDescription, Copyright field),
but rather using text or xml side car files to provide their own
metadata model. See
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/tree/master/gcore/mdreader for a number of
metadata importers. Those metadata importers expose the "raw" metadata
from the side car files, but also try to gather and expose a very
minimum set of information in a IMAGERY metadata domain:
https://gdal.org/user/raster_data_model.html#imagery-domain-remote-sensing

The TIFF tag mechanism makes it impractical to add "arbitary" metadata
keys beyond what the baseline TIFF spec defines. So an option is to use
a generic "container" like the GDAL_METADATA tag. Other options could be
the GEO_METADATA one
(https://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/geo_metadata.html
using a full ISO metadata model). Someone on the TIFF mailing list also
mentioned the possibility of using XMP
(https://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/xmp.html). From a
pure GDAL perspective, the GDAL_METADATA one is the most straightforward
as this is what will be always reported by a gdalinfo dump for example.

I feel an initiative gathering a representative set of GeoTIFF
geospatial products would make sense to define standardized metadata (to
start with decide which existing TIFF tag should be the holder of the
metadata, and then standardize metadata items) would make sense with COG
growing adoption (possibly inspired by what STAC provides), rather than
pushing quickly something for ad-hoc needs. Not sure which forum would
be the best for that. Probably some dedicated github repository.

I'd see a first metadata item that would make sense, a METADATA_PROFILE
/ METADATA_CONVENTION that would be a URL to a spec defining
standardized metadata (similar to the Conventions item of the netCDF CF
spec)

Regarding your need for start/end date times, I can already see an
ambiguity: for some use cases, it could be understood as the start/end
of acquisition of the scene, and for others (like weather forecast like
you pointed in the initial TIFF discussion), or the start/end of
validity of the information.

Even