[gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: GTiff bit shuffle compression feature request

Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] jesse.r.meyer at nasa.gov
Fri Dec 8 09:40:07 PST 2023

Thanks for the suggestion Even, we’ll see how effective Zarr is for our datasets.

Jesse

From: Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
Date: Friday, December 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM
To: "Meyer, Jesse R. (GSFC-618.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC]" <jesse.r.meyer at nasa.gov>, gdallists <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gdal-dev] GTiff bit shuffle compression feature request

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of NASA.  Please take care when clicking links or opening attachments.  Use the "Report Message" button to report suspicious messages to the NASA SOC.

Jesse,

This would break interoperability with other TIFF readers... Even adding a new TIFF tag to advertize that bit shuffling is applied would probably not be a sufficient guard, as existing readers wouldn't read it, and would just display garbage, which is worth that not being able to open the file at all. The only way I can think off of doing that in a safe way would be to use new values for the Compression tag, which isn't pretty either.

You should probably try Zarr which has such capability with the Blosc codec. Cf https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/zarr.html : BLOSC_SHUFFLE

I'm curious however to know which typical compression gain you get with that.

Even