[gdal-dev] GTiff bit shuffle compression feature request

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Dec 10 05:54:00 PST 2023

> On Dec 8, 2023, at 1:04 PM, Laurențiu Nicola via gdal-dev <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>  - GeoTIFF DEFLATE 280 MB
>  - Zarr BLOSC zlib NONE 281 MB
>  - Zarr BLOSC zlib BIT 253 MB
>  - Zarr BLOSC zlib BYTE 249 MB

If floating point compression performance in TIFFs is the primary concern, don't sleep on investigating LERC. I'm curious what LERC with a stated precision (MAX_Z_ERROR) does for these. In my experience, it's tough to beat LERC with a stated precision for floating point content if your expected readers can consume the encoding. We use it all the time for elevation content, and both QGIS and ArcGIS can consume them without trouble.

LINZ wrote up a really nice report about LERC for their elevation content.
https://github.com/linz/elevation/tree/master/docs/tiff-compression

Howard