[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 92 text: WKB Only geometries

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:50:12 PST 2023

> PS: I believe I joked some time ago that it was a pity that GDAL, GEOS, QGIS, PostGIS, ... didn't share the same geometry classes given that they all implement the same Single Features/ ISO SQL MM Part 3 model (it is kind of crazy that we have all to implement WKB, WKT, etc etc), but it really looks like this is completely what the RFC works around. But I'm afraid this "libgeom" is a pipe dream

100% agree, but GEOS gets some exemption from this list because it
doesn't have curved geometry support.

Honestly I'd be totally behind a modern "libgeom" library. Not as a
replacement for GEOS, but just to provide a common "geometry
representation" container with support for ALL the geometry types. It
could even be written in rust :)

Nyall