[gdal-dev] OpenJPEG JPEG2000 Driver

Simon Eves simon.eves at heavy.ai
Wed Feb 15 10:14:03 PST 2023

Interesting. Thank you for that.

Note that it was OpenJPEG that I added fPIC to, not GDAL itself. I am
building OpenJPEG with SHARED_LIBS off, as we only need the static version
for GDAL. GDAL itself builds default (SHARED_LIBS on) as we need static for
our main product build, but also DSOs for the GDAL command-line apps. We
don't need to link GDAL statically into any higher-level shared libs, just
the main monolithic executable.

I will certainly change to use the idiomatic option for the OpenJPEG build,
though.

My main concern remains the need to hack the configure script to get the
GDAL build to agree that OpenJPEG is usable, but since my hack only affects
the configure test and not the actual GDAL build itself, I guess it's fine.

Perhaps it was just a bug, although it seems unlikely that nobody hit it. I
believe the behavior to be fine in CMake-based builds, but obv that's not
an option for now on 3.4.1.