[gdal-dev] A question of eficiency

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jul 7 03:32:17 PDT 2023

Abel,

At the minimum for the reading side of a vector driver, you need to
implement GetNextFeature().

If there is an efficient way of knowing the number of features without
iterating over the whole file (typically a field in a header giving that
number), you may implement GetFeatureCount(). If you don't implement it,
and code using your driver needs the feature count, the generic
implementation of OGRLayer::GetFeatureCount() will call GetNextFeature()
repeatdly until it returns NULL.

Not totally sure to understand your question about multielements. If you
have an instance of OGRGeometryCollection or any deriving class, there's
a getNumGeometries() method to get the number of parts

Even