[gdal-dev] Show isBigTIFF in image metadata

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 2 14:45:05 PDT 2023

Hi,

I tried to find some easy way for checking with GDAL if an image is a standard TIFF or BigTIFF but I could not find any. It seems that "more big.tiff" on Windows finds "II+" from the beginning of the file if the image is BigTIFF and "II*" otherwise. Or then I can open the image with a hex editor for seeing if the third byte is 2A or 2B. However, I would like to see the information with gdalinfo for example as

Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=BAND
  VERSION=BigTIFF

Does it feel reasonable? I know that overviews may be standard TIFFs while the main image is BigTIFF but maybe the information from the header would be enough. Or have I missed some existing tool? I thought that tiffinfo at least would report TIFF/BigTIFF but it doesn't.

-Jukka Rahkonen-